Wednesday, August 12, 2015
Pumpkin Problem Resolved
A couple of weeks ago I mentioned that I had some irrigation problems where it looked like the under the canopy irrigation didn't run or only partially ran for at least four days. However, since then, I wasn't getting the growth on the pumpkins that I was expecting. Today I think I figure out what has been going on this season. The under the canopy watering runs off of well water. My good neighbor, whose property I grow on, allows me to use his well for watering, which is great. However, I discovered this morning, is that the pump seems to be having issues and at times the water pressure is very low and as a result the plants may have been getting only 1/2 to 1/3 of the water that they should have been getting. I'm guessing that when I go out in the mornings there is enough water down that the ground looks wet but not the optima amount of water. I've been monitoring the soil moisture for the last few weeks and have been adding additional water at times. But today was the first morning that I went to add additional water and the water pressure was obviously low. So low that when I went to water the kids plants there wasn't enough pressure to get any spray. As a result the plants have been partially dehydrated for weeks. Not enough that there has been obvious flagging, but enough that it has effected growth. I haven't had this issue with the well in the past. Kind of discouraging to lose a season because of it, but at least I know what is going on now.